Tsuforum - Be Independent Online
TsuFanZine

Groups have Arrived

Just to let you know, the Beta version of Groups is live.  Currently there are two public groups - run by Tsu.. and a couple more...  They have a concept of closed and public groups, with public being the only ones which earn money...  Public Groups will be monetized as follows:

• 25% = Owner
  • 25% = Split Amongst all Non-Owner Admins
  • 35% = Content-Creating Members
  • 10% = tsu
  • 5% = Designated Charity

I've had my first group approved today!

http://www.tsu.co/groups/fun-runners

Only 2 of us there so far, but I'm hoping to grow.

It looks like if someone comes to Tsu via a group link and joins up then they become a child of the group owner. 

I'm mainly on Steemit. Check out WowApp for messaging that pays.

There's a new feature on groups to force all new posts to be approved by an admin. This could prevent spammers flooding your group overnight

http://www.tsu.co/eileenb/79265709

Ideally you need multiple admins in different timezones. The algorithm means that those people could get paid for their efforts. I'm waiting to see what happens when groups come out of beta. That is supposed to be soon.

There's a comment from Sebastian on this post that implies some change is coming

http://www.tsu.co/AddieSabatino/105321040

The original FAQ on groups suggested that at some stage public groups would not need to be approved, but I imagine that would lead to chaos. They should at least say if a suggested group would be rejected by them as not appropriate or a duplicate. 

I think the Tsu team pick the suggested groups. Most of us have no chance of appearing there. Anyway, it's good to see groups are still being approved. I know some people have been complaining that they see no progress on this and they don't hear from Tsu about it.

I have noticed an issue with groups. For any new groups I join I see every new post in my feed. I don't want that. I'll visit the group when I want to see it. I thought there was an option to see groups posts by friends in the feed, but I'm not sure if it's still there.

Yes, they probably pick these featured groups. Btw, I've seen the approval process is now faster (or at least it seems to me), maybe they automated some parts of the system. How long did it take to approve your groups @liby.05

I also see all of the new posts on my feed, there should be some option to disable it. I know they are working on some advanced feed management. I've read this somewhere in comments from Tignor or Sebastian.

If you want to connect with me, use WowApp.

4 hours ago, steevc said:

I have noticed an issue with groups. For any new groups I join I see every new post in my feed. I don't want that. I'll visit the group when I want to see it. I thought there was an option to see groups posts by friends in the feed, but I'm not sure if it's still there.

Now there is no option available to manage group contents 

I mailed Tsu with some suggestions about improving group moderation as it's too much work as it is. I had a mail back from Brian Tignor to say:

The request has been passed on to tech to look at feasibility. In related news, there are big changes coming that will improve the discoverability and functionality of groups significantly. As much as groups did to focus and present content of a particular type, this will take 20 steps further, filter best content, and present it on a silver platter right at the front door. Sorry I can't say more but look for this to launch in a few weeks.

They are obviously busy working on this. It will be interesting to see what we get. I think they need to try to find something unique that will really make people want to use Tsu as many will say they get what they need elsewhere.

I do wonder what rules they are working by to approve groups. I have no interest in selfie groups, but I'm sure there are others that I would like which are still in the queue. I know some people have been waiting a long time for their group to be approved.

Perhaps the coming changes will speed up approvals in some way. 

Btw I think that duplicity won't be much problem for groups. On Facebook there are probably hundreds of thousands of duplicate groups. It's all about the content of the group and which one will become the most popular. One of those groups will probably take the most content and traffic and the others may struggle in the long-term. My opinion... 

If you want to connect with me, use WowApp.