Tsuforum - Be Independent Online

new feature: Mutual friends

Its notice when you hover over a name now it displays the mutual friends you have with that person. good thing :)

I am confused.  I don't see a list of mutual friends at all.  The only thing I see is the standard information - eg are you friends with THIS SPECIFIC Person... 

This is very different from LinkedIn's ability to tell you all the people you have in common with someone.

If you can see more than one person's info, let me know.  That feature is not working on my installation.

I agree that the ability to see friends in common is useful so I'm anxious to get it if I simply need to ask...

It's a nice new feature to have, but of limited use for now. You can see if a new commenter is linked to people you know, but it will take a bit of effort to work out who you have in common. It would also be useful to see if someone is one of your own children.

I expect we will see more changes in this area soon.

I noticed today to this feature, it probably still not going to all people. I see it in all people. Wait a few days and see :)...

Laiky,  Could you do some screen shots so I can see what to look for?  Also, which browser do you use?  I've noticed that Tsu's a little flaky in IE, so I've been using Chrome..  if I have to switch to something else, I'd rather do it now!

I noticed today to this feature, it probably still not going to all people. I see it in all people. Wait a few days and see :)...

I look forward to it!  I'd be keen to understand how they can keep it up to date.... there are millions of relationship transactions on a daily basis...  it would be a phenomenal data extraction exercise... 

I can see this feature, too. I use Chrome.

I'd be keen to understand how they can keep it up to date.... there are millions of relationship transactions on a daily basis

I guess they have a really good feel for computer machines :) I'm not a programmer, but I know systems that can be run only if programmer understands the basics, the core zeros and nulls and the hardware. Then you can get the most of any application. It's always a difference how you make your code. Good programmer can make application which uses the machine resources in the most efficient way. Bad programmer can do the same app but he can't even run it on the Blue Gene.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I am confused.  I don't see a list of mutual friends at all.  The only thing I see is the standard information - eg are you friends with THIS SPECIFIC Person... 

This is very different from LinkedIn's ability to tell you all the people you have in common with someone.

If you can see more than one person's info, let me know.  That feature is not working on my installation.

I agree that the ability to see friends in common is useful so I'm anxious to get it if I simply need to ask...

I really thing that first new features happens to US citizens then to us. Even that they get more cents for liking and comments than us.

I really thing that first new features happens to US citizens then to us. Even that they get more cents for liking and comments than us.

its because tsu was born in the US and the US market is one of the richest in the world. That means there is more money in advertising spent on tsu for US users...

its because tsu was born in the US and the US market is one of the richest in the world. That means there is more money in advertising spent on tsu for US users...

I guess that new features may not be rolled out to everyone at one as they need to see how they perform. Do we have any idea how many servers Tsu are using? Do they hire them from someone (e.g. Amazon or Google)?

As for advertising money, that's a very complex area. There are sophisticated algorithms to work out how much it is worth for a particular user to see an ad. I read something recently about how an auction goes on between ad servers for each page to view in a fraction of a second. Part of that will be based on where the reader is and some markets will be considered more valuable than others. Not much we can do to affect that. I think most of my network is outside the US and Europe, so it may not earn me as much as in those areas. I won't worry about it too much :)

I am curious as to the evidence for this remark... how can you prove that they earn more?   I've been concerned about the level of income from extra-territorial earnings because the ad-serving function might be tuned to US/Americas geographies..

If indeed it is because US ads earn more, then Tsu are simply applying their algorithm - and we will have to learn to compete on their terms.

I guess that new features may not be rolled out to everyone at one as they need to see how they perform. Do we have any idea how many servers Tsu are using? Do they hire them from someone (e.g. Amazon or Google)?

As for advertising money, that's a very complex area. There are sophisticated algorithms to work out how much it is worth for a particular user to see an ad. I read something recently about how an auction goes on between ad servers for each page to view in a fraction of a second. Part of that will be based on where the reader is and some markets will be considered more valuable than others. Not much we can do to affect that. I think most of my network is outside the US and Europe, so it may not earn me as much as in those areas. I won't worry about it too much :)

The Mutual Friends feature has hit the UK...  

Number of servers - Not ENOUGH...   particularly over the period up to New Year's...  and as you say, most of it is spent serving US/Japan - though now that Morocco has kicked off, hopefully they will put in some redundancy so we don't have the huge outages at our busiest times...

In terms of Ad revenue - I think that depends on the Tsu Marketing department.  One video tutorial intimated that it was based on their Google Ad Sense account... and I'm not sure it's tuned for a truly world wide audience... 

The Mutual Friends feature has hit the UK...  

Number of servers - Not ENOUGH...   particularly over the period up to New Year's...  and as you say, most of it is spent serving US/Japan - though now that Morocco has kicked off, hopefully they will put in some redundancy so we don't have the huge outages at our busiest times...

In terms of Ad revenue - I think that depends on the Tsu Marketing department.  One video tutorial intimated that it was based on their Google Ad Sense account... and I'm not sure it's tuned for a truly world wide audience... 

Forgot to add that even Facebook is prone to serving up US ads in my stream - its very annoying to keep hitting the wrong geo-based web sites.

I had bug with my network numbers. Can you imagine that?

There is no way they can server real time network numbers for over 2million users..  Personally, I would have valued other functionality over this as a new feature - eg 

1.  The ability to edit a post (for typos, etc)

2.  The ability to reshare a share after 24 hours.

3.  Child information and management.  

Se here out of USA we wait to work out our new features? Or Kevin Hinkle is not serious because I don't have any matual friends with a single user.

:(

I am curious as to the evidence for this remark... how can you prove that they earn more? I've been concerned about the level of income from extra-territorial earnings because the ad-serving function might be tuned to US/Americas geographies..

If indeed it is because US ads earn more, then Tsu are simply applying their algorithm - and we will have to learn to compete on their terms.