Tom Peace

Synereo Decentralized Social Network

Synereo

Many of us started to search for alternatives after a recent tsu shutdown and so I did, too. For some time, I have been following a development of a project which should satisfy all of us - content creators, content curators, marketers, networkers, average social media users, advertisers... The Synereo project has a huge potential and it solves many problems we see in social media today (compensation, privacy, spam, manipulation). It's designed to be easily scalable to the size of Facebook (in terms of data storage) and to the size of Visa (in terms of number of transactions on the network). {for tech people - they have solved all of the limitations of blockchain}

It should also provide features that we can't even think about yet because people can build their own decentralized applications on top of the technological stack of Synereo.

However, it is still not launched yet and the Alpha release is set to be launched in September 2016. So all of I'm writing in this post is a very, very early info, many questions will need to be answered and a lot of development need to be done before we can have a full featured social network. All I want is to start a discussion and if we all like it, we can help to shape the next generation social network together in September. In the meanwhile, feel free to discuss about it and ask questions.

What is Synereo?

I will describe all I know about Synereo with my own words and knowledge, hopefully as correctly as possible. Synereo could be described as an Android for decentralized web. It means they will to provide an infrastructure for decentralized apps. The first app built on top of this infrastructure is a decentralized social network. The next app can be decentralized Uber or Airbnb, it will be up to developers and their imagination what they can build. (Sky is the limit)

The main advantage is that on Synereo, you can directly connect with other people and exchange the value without a middleman. These two aspects are very important because these days, everything we do on current Internet is through a middleman. For example, when we search on Google, talk with friends via Skype, Facebook, or if we book an accommodation on Airbnb - we always do it through a middleman. And when we want to send money to someone, we always need a bank - another middleman. And more and more often we lose a trust to these middlemen, either due to their attitude of "selling our data to the highest bidder", lack of privacy or just because of their greed.

Synereo should be a social network, the first app build on scalable decentralized infrastructure, where we can directly connect with each other and exchange the value without a middleman. That is the most important aspect I can see in this project.

Attention Economy & Reputation

On the Synereo network, there is a built in economy that understands our attention as a scarce commodity and thus we should be paid if someone wants to reach our attention (and mainly - if we create a content that attracts attention of other people). In the network, there is a built in reputation system called REO and the higher our REO is, the more must an advertiser pay to reach our attention. Also the higher our REO is, the more people can see our content organically (it has a higher reach). This new economy and reputation system incentivize people to be a valuable part of their community. (end to the "nice" type of people?)

The video below shows you the attention economy in action and it's just one of many possible scenarios. Please don't take the design of the tech demo seriously, the video is from April 2015 and it should only show you what is the attention economy all about. AMPs are the currency on the network and you can read about them below. The work with labels on the left and the people on the right is nothing else than work with hashtags and contacts (tagging).

AMP

There is no $ or € on the network. The AMP is the name for a digital token which will power the Synereo economy. It's something like Bitcoin - a digital cryptocurrency which can be purchased on the exchange like Poloniex with Bitcoin. Bitcoin can be purchased with real money on many exchanges like Coinbase. I will do a tutorial about how to buy and safely store a cryptocurrency in the next few days. In the meantime, feel free to ask me anything and don't be scared about crypto - it's much better than $ as the value of AMPs will grow gradually with the real use of AMPs on the network.

Advertisers will buy AMPs on exchanges in order to boost their campaigns or to amplify our content and it will drive real money into the economy. 

Data Storage & Servers?

Maybe you wonder who will provide all of the data storage, computing power and internet connectivity to run a global social network. Well, all of us can participate and earn AMPs for providing resources to the network. All you need to do is to install a small piece of software which will use your free disk space and free connectivity to power the network. These resources will make a decentralized cloud. And for providing resources to the network you will be rewarded with AMPs. It's very similar to Bitcoin mining.

Privacy 

As there is no middleman, all data are encrypted and stored across the decentralized cloud and you are the only one who have the access & control over your data. 

Advantages of Decentralized Social Network

The main advantage - there is no single point of failure. The network can't be shut down, censored or manipulated. As long as you have the internet connection, you can access Synereo. All of its code is open source and the development is very transparent so everyone should do their own research to understand it as much as possible. Only this way you can build a trust into this technology and I recommend you such an approach.

Synereo Alpha - Features:

post.jpg

According to the official blog post (I recommend to read it), we can see these features in the first version of Synereo:

• Deployment of decentralized nodes on your local machines 
  • Creation of private connections between users
  • Text posting with featured image (hosted on the decentralized cloud)
  • Content labels (#hashtags)
  • Decentralized search capability by label and user
  • Content amplification with test-net AMPs (expect more info about this and how test-net AMPs will be exchangeable for real AMPs)
  • 3-tier content viewing: browse, expand, and full view
  • AMP rewards for completing certain actions on the application, as well as for opting to report usage statistics relating to the attention economy

Synereo_Content-motion.gif

The Alpha version of Synereo will run with testing AMPs for a two months to ensure it will not put people's real money into risk without proper testing. So we should be able to play around and provide a valuable feedback to developers!

Crowdsale:

In September, there will be a crowdsale to ensure funding of the development and everyone can participate in it. People will be able to purchase AMPs directly from Synereo at a price that should be "prevailed market price". More news should be available on the Synereo website soon.

The Team Behind:

(copied from Bitcointalk.org Synereo official thread):

The Team

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FjzARVEG.jp  
Dor Konforty - CEO, ARCHITECT
Dor is an expert on collaboration on the net and the wisdom of crowds. Has a master’s
degree in neurobiology from an interdisciplinary brain research program in Tel-Aviv
University. A graduate of the Israeli Air Force computer unit. Has been living and
breathing crypto since early 2011. A child of the Internet.
  ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F9EhCnZG.jp  
Anderson McCutcheon - CMO, B2B
Andy comes from a diverse programming background, having served in IDF’s 8200 unit
and developed real-time climate control & management systems. Having built several 
successful communities, he has spent the last few years managing marketing for the 
world’s biggest real money gaming brands. Loves lamp.
  ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FtMWknlO.jp  
Yuval Adam - CTO
Yuval is a full-stack technologist, experienced in building distributed web services,
through deploying wireless mesh networks, to embedded systems development. Holds
a B.Sc in Computer Sciences from Ben-Gurion University. Founded the Tel-Aviv chapter
of CryptoParty, advocating for privacy and digital liberties.
  ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FwYLQeJM.jp  
Lucius Gregory Meredith - CSO, MATHEMAGICIAN
Greg was the principal architect of Microsoft’s BizTalk’s Process Orchestration,
sparking several industry standards including WSDL (of which Greg is a co-author).
Greg holds many patents and has published many papers, including seminal papers
on reflective higher-order calculi. Supports his math habit by working in computing.

Resources:

Articles About Synereo:

If you want to connect with me, use WowApp.

25 minutes ago, JUMOWA said:

Thank you Tom. Great stuff. I hope the environment will be user friendly for not only developers. Another game changer for a better future!

Yes, there is a big requirement for a usability and user friendliness as far as I know. Take some of the pictures and videos above more as a sketch than a final product.

5 hours ago, liby.05 said:

Do we need to buy AMPs? Or we will get the same like we get tsu $?

You don't need to buy AMPs to join. You will earn some initial AMPs for completing different actions on the network (like uploading the profile picture) and if someone decides to give love to your posts (amplify them), you will receive AMPs for that (see the video example of attention economy).

There should also be some initial number of AMPs for new users, for those who invite their friends to the network and for content creators - however, I am not 100% sure how they will do it. I guess it needs some official announcement to be clarified.

This is how AMPs will be distributed, according to the Synereo website:

How are other AMPs distributed?

The AMP distribution logic is designed to facilitate the development and growth of the Synereo social network through years to come.

• 18.5% are sold in the initial crowdsale
  • 10% will be used to compensate users as they join the network, invite others, and contribute to it
  • 7.5% will be awarded to content creators who begin operating on the network. We already have a few major musicians waiting to join and distribute their art on Synereo!
  • 10% are awarded to the founders of Synereo, vested over a period of 30 months
  • 11.5% are kept for bounties, awarded to contributors and developers
  • 42.5% will be kept for future funding rounds. We aim to have two more, spaced 1-1.5 years apart, each providing the necessary funds for the next leg of the project.

According to this website, the total amount of AMPs that will be issued into the circulation is 1,680,400,000 AMP. 

I'm sure I read about this a while back. I tried to buy some AMPs with Bitcoin (only a few dollars), but I miscalculated and didn't actually pay in enough to qualify to get some and they kept it. Oops, but no big deal. 

I expect there's a benefit to getting in early. I like that it's decentralised and open source. Sounds like it has some similarities to Steem/Steemit where people can build apps on top of it. You have to hope they have covered any security issues. We've seen too many cases where systems get hacked.

I'm mainly on Steemit. Check out WowApp for messaging that pays.